Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Healthy turkey chili

Since it is the week of Cinco de Mayo, I have tried to make spicy and Hispanic-themed dishes. Tonight was turkey chili from the Cook Yourself Thin Cookbook.

Chili recipes are sure to have a lot of ingredients, and this one was no exception. However, I didn't have to buy anything; maybe that says something about my extensive spice rack and stocked fridge.
  • Olive oil
  • Ground turkey
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Chili powder
  • Ground cumin
  • Dried oregano
  • Pinch ground cinnamon
  • Red onion, chopped
  • Cloves of garlic, minced
  • Carrots
  • Can of tomatoes
  • Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
  • Water
  • Cocoa powder
  • Pinto beans
  • Fresh cilantro
  • Scallions
  • Nonfat yogurt (I used whole milk yogurt)
You mix in the ingredients at various times, and eventually you have a pretty awesome-looking chili, which is surprisingly low in calories and relatively full of vegetables. I thought the cocoa powder was an interesting touch.


In the end, you garnish the chili with a bit of yogurt (instead of sour cream) and chopped scallions.


Looks pretty good! The recipe also asks for a bit of chopped bittersweet chocolate, but I didn't have any I felt like chopping. (I have some amazing 72% cacao Ghirardelli chocolate, which is too delicious to put on chili, and some 100% cacao chocolate that I was afraid would make the chili too bitter.

Anyway, the recipe made a huge amount, so I guess we'll be having it for a few days! We also enjoyed some homemade margaritas, so it was a really nice Cinco de Mayo. But I don't know how you can go wrong with spicy food!

No comments: