Saturday, June 13, 2009

Portobello mushroom lasagna

For Dave's out of town college friends that are visiting this weekend, I decided to make something kind of fancy and fun for dinner tonight: portobello mushroom lasagna from Barefoot Contessa at Home.

I knew this was going to be a recipe adventure from how many mushrooms are required: 1.5 pounds of portobellos. This sounded like a lot to me, because mushrooms are fairly light. If you're wondering, this is what a pound and a half of portobello mushrooms looks like:


It was pretty much Dominicks' entire stock of portobellos that day!

You slice and fry up the portobellos in a mix of olive oil and butter, then set them aside. While the lasagna noodles cook, you start on the sauce. The sauce is a white sauce involving butter, cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. It thickened up nicely, because of the rue method that Ina uses. (Rue is frying up butter and flour in one pan, then adding hot milk.)

Then you layer it all in the pan: sauce, noodles, mushrooms, etc.


I used whole wheat lasagna noodles, which actually added a nice earthy taste to the recipe. I served the lasagna slices with a veggie Caesar salad.


Some comments on the recipe. I liked it overall - but it is a great deal of mushrooms. I'm not that big of a mushroom fan, although the texture of the sauteed mushrooms did blend nicely with the whole wheat pasta.

Also, if you can't get the idea from my talk of making the sauce, noodles, and mushrooms, and then lasagna in separate pots and pans, I'll spell it out: this recipe dirties almost every dish in your kitchen, haha. Luckily I was able to save myself a little trouble by making the sauce in the same pan I sauteed the mushrooms in, but still. Be prepared to do some serious dishes after this one.

I think I'd make it again, but maybe only for a special occasion - and definitely one that involves some mushroom lovers. I think that making this with sauteed chicken would be more in line with my taste.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love mushrooms and I love pasta, so this was a no-brainer for me, but I was surprised that it had such a distinctive, savory taste. Very pleasantly surprised!