Monday, August 31, 2009

Healthy chicken fajitas

I have a little bit of a problem: I have a bunch of vegetables in my fridge, yet I am leaving the country for two weeks on Friday. Must eat vegetables! Solution: chicken fajitas.

The reason I have so many vegetables in the first place is that it's harvest time in Illinois. We went vegetable and fruit picking yesterday out in the corn, where I got four jalapenos, two sweet bell peppers, two bell peppers, four pimientos, and an eggplant. This is on top of what my parents also gave us over the last week or two: seven ears of corn, four tomatoes, and two green peppers. Time to make fajitas!

For the fried vegetables, I chopped and tossed the following into some hot olive oil:
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1 pimiento
  • 1/4 onion
  • 1 ear of corn


Awesome. Most of these vegetables were still attached to plants yesterday!

This stuff smelled amazing, and it hit Dave as soon as he walked into the apartment. I only added some salt and pepper, because it was so flavorful on its own. Later I mixed in some rinsed black beans. (I rinse canned beans to remove the added sodium.)

Meanwhile, I took two defrosted chicken breasts and poached them in chicken broth, then shredded them and boiled the pieces in water, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika. This added very little calories, yet was extremely flavorful. Credit this cooking method to the Cook Yourself Thin cookbook.


I also made Dave some pico de gallo from the rest of the onion and half of an heirloom tomato.

Lay these ingredients in a whole wheat tortilla and enjoy! The burritos were super spicy, and Dave was groaning happily while he ate. I know that he likes everything I make, so a meal must really be good when he goes on about how much he likes it.

Say yes to whole grains, spicy chicken, and vegetables that were picked from plants yesterday!

No comments: