Sunday, October 18, 2009

Turkey chili

I am a big fan of chili, and I like to make mine with ground turkey. That's about the only thing that is the same about my chili every time I make it. Chili is always basically the same: meat, sauce, beans, spices, and some veggies.

Here's a list of ingredients from this iteration:
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • Chili powder
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Paprika
  • Ground black pepper
  • Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 1 lb. kidney beans (can)
  • 1 lb. pinto beans (can)
  • 15.5 oz. chili beans in sauce (can)
  • Package of frozen corn
  • Light cream
  • Half of a 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • Rice
I do two things to keep the sodium down: I try to buy low-sodium canned beans, and I also rinse the beans after I take them out of the can. This is really important, because this recipe has a lot of beans, and rinsing them takes a lot of salt out.

I make the chili in several basic steps:
  1. Brown turkey in a large skillet
  2. Mix in spices to flavor the turkey.
  3. Add wet ingredients (tomato sauce, cream)
  4. Add beans and any veggies you are using.
  5. Add more spices to taste.
This time I took a leaf out of the Spaghetti Factory's book and served the chili with an ice cream scoop full of white rice, splashed with a little more paprika.


They are so pretty! Dave and my sister were impressed, but the rice doesn't take much effort at all.

Incidentally, this batch was pretty spicy; I think maybe I went a little heavy on the spices this time, but oh well. It cleaned out our sinuses. Perfect for a chilly fall day!

No comments: