Friday, January 8, 2010

Peasant bread & blueberry buckle

I have missed my oven while I was on vacation - and while it was broken - but my dad came and fixed the oven, and we are having a continued and glorious reunion. My friend is visiting from out of town, so I made some bread to share - peasant bread - and also some bread for breakfast - a blueberry buckle.

Peasant Bread

Peasant bread is a curious bread indeed, but I decided to make it since (1) I have all the ingredients and (2) I watched "The Birdcage" yesterday, and Agador makes "peasant soup" for the Keeleys. It's fate!

The yeast-flour mixture is nothing new, but the other dry add-ins were a bit unusual: rye flour, yellow corn meal, caraway seeds, and whole bran cereal. Weird.


The wet ingredients were just water, salt, oil, and my favorite, molasses. (That's sarcastic. Molasses stinks up my kitchen.) After kneading this rough little dough for a while, it looked pretty peasant-y.


Rise, divide, and bake, and voila! Peasant bread! I will give these away, but I feel like I need to try a piece sometime.


I'm sure it's healthy, with all those whole grains in it, but still. Weird.

Blueberry Buckle

Now this one, I was excited about. It's a thick, rich dough on the bottom, then topped with blueberries (I used frozen from summer), and then slathered with a cinnamon-y streusel.


This is to be breakfast tomorrow for our out-of-town guests, and a fine breakfast it will be.


I'm going to serve it with some big apple slices and tea. Mmm.

No comments: