Sunday, March 7, 2010

Applesauce brownies

Yesterday I had some people over and made my winter favorite, applesauce brownies, which are delicious and moist (and sort of healthy, or at least not as unhealthy as regular brownies).

When you use applesauce in a recipe, you're basically replacing part of the oil or fat with the applesauce. This calls for two cups, which is a pretty awesome amount of applesauce. Also, given that they are brownies, the recipe calls for a surprisingly small amount of chocolate - just a few tablespoons of cocoa powder (and cinnamon), and some chocolate chips on the top.

I've made these "brownies" a few times, so I thought for sure that I had blogged them already, but it turns out I have not. So, I would have taken pictures of the whole gorgeous thing in the pan, but it was eaten long before I realized I should have taken a picture. Therefore, all I have left is a few pieces:


You can see how moist and delicious it is, and also that it has a color maybe more akin to spice cake instead of brownies. I love these things oh so much more than regular brownies, too. But, to get the nice crispy brownie top, the secret is to sprinkle a small amount of sugar on top before baking. Mmm!

No comments: