Saturday, March 27, 2010

Chocolate mousse

I had a birthday movie-a-thon today, and I decided to bring a chocolate mousse. I've never done a legitimate one before, so I was pretty excited.

First, chop up and melt 1 pound of semisweet chocolate.


Awesome. Then you let it cool and mix in 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks. At this point, it is a big, dark, sticky mess.


Then you whip 2 cups of heavy cream, and in another bowl, whip 4 egg whites. You alternately fold each into the mousse. It starts to get lighter and more fluffy at this point, but it is still pretty messy.


Then pour into a mold or dish. I used a 1.5 quart dish, but there was a little extra overflow (which I had with breakfast). Plus, I actually didn't whip my egg whites, and if I had, I'm sure it would have been much closer to a 2 quart container.


At any rate, it came out smooth, creamy, and amazing. I'm very pleased with this recipe, which came from my Hershey, Pennsylvania Cookbook. Apparently it's a recipe from a famous store, Breads 'n' Cheese of Hershey. I can see why it's famous!

No comments: