Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Date-orange coffee cake and hummus

Today I made a nice coffee cake and delicious, homemade hummus for dinner. Mmm.

Date-orange coffee cake

I have enjoyed having fresh-baked breakfast breads lately, so I decided to use up some dates with date-apple coffee cake from the Better Homes & Gardens binder.

This one uses up a lot of dishes and bowls. In one bowl, you put flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, you mix an egg, some cooking oil, and milk. In yet another bowl, you mix chopped dates, orange peel, and orange juice. Then you mix it all together and put it in a smallish baking pan (recipe recommended 11 x 7 - I think mine is that measurement).

Then, in yet another bowl (or you can re-use one of the previous bowls), you mix together butter, cinnamon, walnuts, and brown sugar for the streusel on top.


Looks pretty awesome. I put it right in the oven, because as a quick bread, it required no yeast or rising time. It baked up really fast, so I think this would be a perfect bread to make before a brunch.


Mmm. The bad thing is that I think I need a new egg timer, as I almost burnt the coffee cake because mine didn't go off. I've had my cow-shaped one since college, but I think it stopped working. It's making funny clicking noises and doesn't ring anymore, so I guess it's time to retire the cow.


In the evening, I also made a delicious batch of hummus by Ina Garten. Her hummus is somewhat unusual, and rather zingy: chick peas, grated garlic, tahini, lemon juice, hot sauce. I don't have a food processor, but I used my blender and it was fine.


Top with some paprika and extra-virgin olive oil and you have a delicious and amazingly healthy little dip! It was so good that I don't think I will ever buy hummus again.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Chris and I have been making hummus for years now that we had a good recipe to go off of. It's so easy, I can't believe we ever paid money for that stuff!