Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Roasted asparagus and scrambled eggs

Asparagus just came into season, so I got excited and bought a U.S.-grown bunch at the produce market this weekend. It's kind of strange how you are supposed to store it: you put it in water like fresh-cut roses. So, since Sunday, I've had a bunch of asparagus sticking out of Dave's Souvlaki cup in the kitchen. Not as pretty as roses, but oh well.

Ina says to roast them. So I roasted them. It really couldn't be easier: line them up, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then roast for 15-20 at 400 degrees.


Toss over some scrambled eggs (in my case, mushroom and cream scrambled eggs) and you're golden.


I served it with a piece of egg bread (homemade, of course) spread with herbed butter (again, homemade). It was a nice breakfast as a treat during the week, as I usually do not cook like this for breakfast except on weekends. It's part of me trying to load Dave up with protein and good carbs in preparation for his 8k on Sunday.

However, I'm definitely convinced that this is THE way to cook asparagus. You should be locked up in prison for boiling these beauties, especially when the olive oil makes the ends so crispy and delicious.

No comments: