Saturday, April 10, 2010

Stuffed peppers

Tonight Dave and I wanted something veggie-centric and somewhat light for dinner tonight, so I got this idea to stuff some peppers with a bulgur pilaf. I've never done them, so I knew it was going to be interesting one way or the other.

I looked online for a general method for roasting stuffed peppers, and I found this one from Giada De Laurentis that looked like about what I wanted to do. Basically you lop the tops off of the peppers, stuff them with some kind of pilaf mixture, then roast them upright in a pan with chicken stock. First covered, then uncovered with cheese on top.


My pilaf was cooked bulgur, sauteed veggies (onions, carrots, celery), sliced ham, grated ginger, and chopped herbs (dill, parsley). On top is fresh grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.

I have to say, these were pretty awesome. The peppers came out super soft, and the bulgur pilaf was healthy and tasty simultaneously. You could stuff it with anything, so it seems like a good way to reuse leftover risotto, pilaf, and even pasta!

No comments: