Monday, May 3, 2010

Healthy chicken wings

This is the week of Cinco de Mayo, so I have decided to do a week of spicy Mexican-themed dishes. Unfortunately, my idol Ina hardly has any Hispanic dishes at all, and the ones she has I've already made. So, I had to branch out a bit.

Tonight's recipe - buffalo chicken wings - believe it or not, comes from Eat This, Not That: Supermarket Survival Guide. This is one of the best books you can buy for healthy eating, seasonal eating, and weight loss. I read a lot about food and know a lot about weight loss and nutrition, and even I carry this thing around in my purse for shopping market trips. It is amazing.

At any rate, most of the book consists of nutritional information about supermarket foods, combined with advice on how to integrate these delicious and healthy items into your own diet. There are about twenty recipes in the back, and one of them is buffalo chicken wings - a healthy version of something that put many pounds on me back in the day.

The recipe consists of two parts: buffalo chicken and a bleu cheese sauce. The buffalo chicken consists of boneless skinless breasts cut into strips, then marinated in a sauce of Frank's Red Hot Sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and black powder. Then you grill or broil those and they're done in about five minutes.

The bleu cheese sauce is really ingenious. It consists of half a cup of Greek yogurt (I use Fage), chunks of bleu cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and white wine vinegar. Ohhhhhh man.

I whipped all this up and stir fried some veggies (green peppers, onion, and mushrooms) and served with a corn tortilla.


Mmmmmm. This was one of my favorite dinners I've made in a while, and I definitely see this dish making its way into our regular rotation. I put some of the chicken tenders in the tortilla with a slathering of the sauce, then dipped the rest of the "wings" in the sauce by themselves. It was so flavorful, yet guilt-free.

So look for more spicy and Mexican-themed dishes this week!

No comments: