Monday, May 10, 2010

Soft pan brownies

A few weeks ago, a few friends and I had the idea that we should make cinnamon ice cream and eat it with warm brownies. So that's what we did today.

My recipe is soft pan brownies from the Hershey, Pennsylvania Cookbook, which is amazing. Most of the recipes in that cookbook appear to have originated from churches, families, and Hershey company kitchens in the area, so I trust everything in it. Joanna made the cinnamon ice cream, and I made the soft pan brownies. (I should mention that Andy prepared the truly amazing kabobs, which I need to try sometime.)

So the recipe involved melting some shortening and butter, then whisking in some cocoa. While that is cooling, I whisked some eggs together with sugar and vanilla. Then I mixed in the cocoa-butter mixture, then the flour and salt. At this point you can also add nuts, but I am of the camp that believes nuts have no place in baked goods.

We tried to make sure the brownies were slightly under-done so that it was nice and mushy warm with the cinnamon ice cream. We succeeded very well, and then it was time to make the "frosting," which was literally just some Hershey chocolate bars broken up over the top of the brownie pan.


It was at this point that we REALLY started drooling. I used about four bars. The recipe says that you can even use Reese's cups and York peppermint patties. Mmmmm.

I chopped up the brownies and put them into dough shells that Joanna had made - they were like a big tasty fortune cookie to hold our warm brownies and cinnamon ice cream.


Just look at this beast.


I have to say, this was one of my favorite desserts of all time. Cinnamon ice cream is probably my favorite ice cream ever, and this warm brownie was probably my favorite brownie ever. The melted Hershey bars on top didn't hurt, either.

All in all, it was a great success, and we all agreed that we must grill and eat amazing desserts again soon!

No comments: