Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Summer squash bread

Well, summer is full swing, and that means tons of veggies from my parents' garden. I've been looking for creative ways to use the squash, and my CSA farm newsletter suggested this recipe for summer squash bread.


Recipe from Bon Appetit.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
  • 2 cups coarsely grated summer squash
  • Optional: 1 cup walnuts, toasted & coarsely chopped
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour two 8 x 4 x 2 1/2-inch metal loaf pans. (I just used Pam, but it still stuck. I think this actually requires buttering and flouring.)
  2. Whisk flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, allspice, and baking powder in medium bowl to blend. Whisk sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and lemon peel in large bowl to blend.
  3. Whisk in flour mixture. Mix in summer squash and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  4. Bake breads until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Turn breads out onto rack and cool completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil and store at room temperature.)
This bread was VERY moist and very flavorful, as well. The spices made it smell like Christmas in my kitchen. I froze one loaf, but we'll see how long that lasts. I have been spreading it with Smart Balance butter spread for breakfast, and I did bring it to lunch one day and served thick slices with walnuts, bleu cheese, and honey. Mmm!

So, I highly recommend this recipe, and I'm sure it would work for zucchini, too. What a great way to use tasty squash from your garden!

No comments: