Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Antelope & Brussels sprouts

In addition to digging myself out from under a pile of root vegetables, I am also trying to purge my freezer of things that have been there a while. One thing I've been saving is a set of antelope steaks given to me by my mom's coworker, who has a relative that hunts. I decided to break down and cook these beautiful steaks before they go bad in the freezer.

One thing I forgot is, when you thaw meat that was given to you by a hunter, there is a lot of blood. A lot. I always am a little shocked when I see it.

I felt that preparing these simply would be best, so you could really taste the flavor of the meat. I did mine about medium well and Dave's about medium to medium-rare, only flavoring with some Montreal steak rub and garnished with only A1 steak sauce. I also sauteed some CSA Brussels sprouts, which were very tender and almost more like mini Napa cabbages than Brussels sprouts.


You might look at this picture and think, "Wow, look at those beautiful plates." And I would say, "Why, thank you! They were a moving present to myself." They have matching salad plates and bowls with little peacocks on them. I love them. Oh, and you might notice the bottle of wine next to the A1: this is a special bottle of South African wine, a blend of five types of red grapes. It was very good, and I really liked it with the steak.

So that was our dinner, and the meat with the veggies and wine was a very satisfying winter meal indeed.

No comments: