Friday, December 17, 2010

Squash (& beet) curry

I'm still trying to dig myself out from under a pile of root vegetables, so I figured I'd use up one of the last squash from my summer CSA (and yes, it's still good) to make squash curry. With beets. But don't tell Dave.

This was pretty easy; using all CSA veggies, I chopped a whole yellow onion, half a winter squash, and a small beet and sauteed in olive oil until the veggies were soft. Then I added cream, two kinds of curry powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. I served this over a rice pilaf that included bulgur and brown rice.

This week marks the first time I've really been cooking again since the move. All through that time, we've been living off of take-out, frozen stuff, and too-easy meals that haven't challenged my inner Martha. Now that I'm starting to find everything again, I can cook.

This was a tasty little dish, although I think I cooked the veggies too long because they were really mushy. (It's pretty bad when the rice has more consistency than the stuff you're serving atop the rice.) But the curry sauce was good, and I'd definitely make it again, but maybe add some chicken or something.

And Dave hates beets, but he said he couldn't even taste them, so I guess that was a compliment. (He only figured it out when he noticed the tell-tale bright pink smears on my cutting board this morning.)

I should also add that I roasted a huge batch of squash seeds with my "Pilsen blend" of spices from Spice House. The seeds were from two canning pumpkins, one carnivale squash, and this winter squash. I use everything but the strings and the peel (and bunny usually helps with the rest)! Not too shabby!

No comments: