Saturday, January 22, 2011

Marbled mini cheesecakes

This was another recipe from Martha. I wanted to make something for my friends' hockey game, since I'm a good hockey mom, and he said "something cheesecake." I can do that.

The crust is graham cracker, so you crunch up some graham crackers and mix with sugar and melted butter. To crunch the crackers, I put them in a Ziploc bag and run over it a few times with my heavy rolling pin.

Bake the crusts to set, meanwhile mix up the cheesecake ingredients: 2 lb. cream cheese (really, Martha?), sugar, vanilla, a pinch of salt, and four eggs.

I should note that I used some eggs that I bought at a farmers' market from the Hasselmann Family Farm, and they are phenomenal. It took me at least five tries to break one of them. I really don't know why people bother buying eggs from the supermarket.

The last thing you do, to get the marbling, is to drip in some fruit purée or jam, then swirl it around with a toothpick. Martha recommends making a raspberry purée yourself, but I preferred to use some Amish blackberry jam I had on hand. Berries in winter are just not as flavorful as summer.

The end result is some fancy-looking "cupcakes," although they are really just mini-cheesecakes.


These little guys were really delicious, and they were small enough so that they weren't too much. The team devoured them when we went out for pizza, and I would definitely make them again.

No comments: