Saturday, July 9, 2011

CSA roundup

Got a bunch of weird stuff in the CSA and at the farmers' market this week, so it's time to use it up!

Bok choy stir fry

This week I got bok choy in my CSA box, and truly, I have no idea what to do with bok choy. So I decided to try another suggestion from the CSA newsletter, a stir-fry-type deal that seemed pretty quick and painless.

Here's what I did: cook some onions and garlic in a pan with vegetable oil and sesame oil. When they are soft, toss in the bok choy and toss for a few minutes until somewhat wilty. Then toss in some sesame seeds and you're good to go.


Dave really liked this, but the bok choy was a little bitter for me. I guess Mr. IPA's taste buds are used to bitterness. Anyhow, it used up the whole head of bok choy, so that was useful. I feel inundated with greens right now, but I know they won't be coming much during the middle of the summer, so I'm enjoying them while I can.

Strawberry basil ice cream

This was another CSA newsletter suggestion, given that I received both basil and strawberries in this week's box. I used my CSA strawberries for this recipe, but I also used the farmers' market strawberries and my fruit-of-the-month club strawberries for a different recipe (more strawberry currant jam). Look at the difference between the Harry & David's strawberries and the little Michigan ones from the farmers' market:


Doesn't mean one is better than the other, the big ones are just...well, so much bigger!

This recipe involved a custard that you steep basil leaves in to give it flavor. You chill the custard and, meanwhile, macerate a full pound of sliced strawberries in sugar. When the strawberries are gooey and the custard is chilled, you mash up the strawberries, slice up some basil, and mix it all together. Then, into the ice cream maker it goes:


There are tons of strawberry basil ice cream recipes on the net, try one of your own!

Black currant jam

This was a farmers' market find; I'm determined to try as many currants as I can, given that last year I was too late to buy any. This was a recipe from my preserving cookbook, and it's a very easy one. Just boil the currants and water, then add lemon juice and sugar. The currants don't need any extra pectin because apparently they are some of the most pectin-happy fruits in existence.

I got two jars out of this recipe, and a little extra for myself to taste from the fridge:


I haven't tried it yet, and it hasn't really set up yet, but I'm counting on it setting up as it cools, similar to what the pear and rhubarb jam did. Fingers crossed!

No comments: