Monday, July 18, 2011

Double berry jam

I am continuing to use up some raspberries that my mom picked and froze from her garden, so I combined them in a "triple berry jam" from my preserving book, although all I had were raspberries and blueberries, so it was a double berry jam.

This was a no-water, all-sugar jam: mix 1 lb. mixed berries, much sugar, and the juice of two lemons. Heat until set.


You can see that this has been in the fridge for a bit and set up well, hence the filmy top. I got two jars out of this one, and it did smell very good indeed.


My set worked very well with this jam, no pectin required. Not sure if this photo turned out particularly clearly, but you can see (kind of) that the all-raspberry jam is more red and has more seeds, whereas the double berry jam has less seeds and is darker. Some blueberries made it out whole, but many exploded and gave their beautiful blue hue to the jam.

I brought some of the strawberry red currant jam to work, and the ladies are excited! Making jam has been one of the best things about this harvest season so far.

No comments: