Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homemade hot sauce

I have a bunch of hot peppers from the run to Susie's Garden Patch two weeks ago, so I decided to make hot sauce!

This is kind of a wacky method: you put the peppers in a blender or food processor, then add salt. You let it sit for a month and let the mash ferment and get a little more "interesting."


As I can see it, this stuff is pretty insanely hot - it burned my throat and nose a little just to breathe it in. We'll see what happens after a few weeks of fermenting at room temperature!

I'm also working on some pepperoncini (i.e. banana peppers), which are sitting in a bowl of salt water in my kitchen right now. And I'm going to make peach raspberry conserve with some free peaches I got and some raspberries I'm going to buy tomorrow at the market. So excited for the conserve, and I don't feel bad about preserving these peaches, since they are tiny and free.

Keep your fingers crossed for my hot sauce, and I will update in a few weeks.

No comments: