Thursday, November 10, 2011

Grecian leek pie and rosemary-infused carrots

More CSA veggies need using up. I went for some wacky ones tonight: Grecian leek pie and rosemary-infused carrots.

The carrots were not that wacky: just heat some olive oil, cook the carrot pieces for 3 minutes, add the rosemary and flip the carrots, then cook for another three minutes. This is a recipe from the Chicago Homegrown Cookbook, which I won through my CSA and is utterly fantastic.


These weren't quite as rosemary-tasting as I had hoped, so maybe next time I will just cut up the rosemary and leave it in there. But it used up a pound of carrots and was delicious, so it's a win for me!

The next one was the wacky one: Grecian leek pie.


Oh yes, it is glorious. Here is the recipe from my CSA:

Grecian Leek Pie
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
  • 4 tbsp. olive oil
  • 3-4 leeks, washed and chopped about 1/2-inch thick
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
  • 11 oz. Feta cheese, crumbled
  • 4 oz. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (I used parmigiano reggiano)
  • 3-4 tbsp. fresh dill
  • Pepper to taste
I'm going to re-write the directions, because actually this was one of the most unclear recipes I've ever worked from. Also, they suggest adding salt, which I think is insane because Feta and Parmesan are already so salty.
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch pan.
  2. In butter and oil, saute onion until lightly golden. Add leeks and saute for 10-12 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
  3. In a medium bowl, sift flour and baking soda. Stir in eggs, then add yogurt, Feta, and half the Parmesan. Stir well while you slowly add the leek / onion mixture. Lastly, add the dill and pepper to taste.
  4. Pour into the pan and spread the batter to even it out in the pan. Top with remaining Parmesan and bake for 40-45 min., or until nicely golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
I cut the leek pie into six pieces and served each of us one slice with the carrots.


I have to say, I am pretty proud of myself for this one. Not because the leek pie was hard, but because maybe five years ago, I would NEVER have eaten it. I used to hate onions (yes, I know, lame) and I probably didn't even know what a leek was. And I used to think Feta was this nasty stinky cheese and would never eat it when it was included on my gyro plates.

Now, I could probably eat an onion like an apple. I love leeks. And Feta, especially baked into something like the leek pie, which mellows it out, is also delicious.

Also, I should note that I knew I had scored a hit with this one when Dave took a small bite out of the corner of the pie and immediately began moaning. Score another one for the Greeks (and for my CSA newsletter and veggies)!

1 comment:

Chicago Tea Girl said...

So happy you posted this. We grew leeks for the first time this year, and they are ready for harvest. I think I am going to try this one. Thanks for sharing!