Friday, November 25, 2011

Swirled mashed potatoes

This was my contribution to the Thanksgiving table this year at my parents' house. It is a recipe from a free handout by Dave of Dave's Specialty Foods in Mount Prospect.
  • 2 lb. red potatoes, unpeeled and washed
  • 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tbsp. real maple syrup
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper
  • 1 cup milk
Cook potatoes separately (I boiled for about 20 minutes) until each is tender. Bring milk to a boil and remove from heat.

Drain red potatoes and mash. Add milk and seasoning. Set aside.

Drain sweet potatoes, reserving 1/4 cup water. Mash and add maple syrup, water, and seasoning.

Swirl sweet potatoes into the white potatoes and serve.


I thought this was a really pretty dish. When you ate it all together, I can't say that I was able to really taste the maple syrup, but it was delicious all the same. Thanks for another good one, Dave!

No comments: