Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Slap yo' momma cake

There are some names that just stick to a dish.  This is one of those.  Ina's chocolate ganache cake from Barefoot Contessa Parties, or, as my old coworker called it, "slap yo' momma cake."  When a coworker requested something dark chocolate for her going away party today, I knew she had to have this cake.




The secret to this cake's density is four eggs, lots of vanilla, and a pound of Hershey's chocolate syrup.  The secret to the frosting is coffee powder, or I used to use Kahlua.  After you drizzle the ganache over the cake, Ina recommends serving with edible gold leaf, but I usually opt for a single maraschino cherry on top.  Today I was kind of kicking myself for not using a strawberry, but hey, maybe next time.


When I was eating my slice, I realized that I haven't made this cake in years.  Maybe I under-baked it this time, but it was better than I remember.  Never underestimate the staying power of an Ina recipe.

No comments: