Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tempeh with cabbage stir-fry

Tonight I made a delicious, healthy dinner with farmers' market & CSA ingredients:  tempeh with cabbage stir-fry!


The tempeh was easy enough; I just put it in a pan with some hot oil and cooked until each side was golden brown.  Then I cut it on an angle and topped with fresh garlic guacamole and some sliced Hungarian hot wax peppers.




By "garlic guacamole," I mean that I mashed up an avocado, then added some grated fresh garlic to it.  It gives it a spice and you get great health benefits from the raw garlic.


I believe I've done the cabbage stir-fry on here before, but let me add the recipe again:

  1. Shred one head of cabbage.  
  2. Place shredded cabbage in a large wok or stir-fry pan and heat with sesame oil.  (I use a few tablespoons.)
  3. Cook, turning with tongs, until the cabbage is slightly cooked, but not total mush.  It will be somewhat translucent and will have released some liquid into the pan.
  4. Thinly slice one bell pepper and shred some carrots.  Add to pan with red pepper flakes and soy sauce and toss.  (You can also add sesame seeds, which I forgot last night.)
I had some kind of horrifying allergic reaction last night, so I don't know if it was something in this meal or whether it was something else (dust, bunny, etc.).  The only new thing was the hot peppers, so maybe it was those, but that would make me really sad.

No comments: