Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday brunch with family

My mom and grandma came up for brunch / lunch today before we visited an exhibit on historic quilts in the Arlington Heights History Museum.  I wanted to make something from my amazing breakfast book, and I also happened to have everything to make the arugula pesto salad from the Chicago Homegrown Cookbook.  Giddyup.

For a sweet item, I chose to make the French toast bake from The Art of Breakfast, with some modifications.  First, I didn't read the recipe, so I didn't soak the bread in the milk-egg mixture overnight.  Whoops.  (It still turned out fine.)  Second, I halved the recipe, because good god.  Third, I used dollops of homemade raspberry jam instead of blueberries, because all of my blueberries are frozen, not fresh, and I thought that would affect the cooking time.  Lastly, I did not make the maple rum glaze, because my family is trying to watch their waistlines just as I am, and I thought this was rich enough without a cream sauce.   (Instead, I served with extra jam on the side.)


Basically you cut up some bread into 1-inch chunks, then soak it in a mixture of milk, eggs, etc.  (This is the French toast part.)  Then you make a streusel topping and sprinkle some blueberries (or raspberry jam), along with some toasted pecans.  It turned out very lovely (and delicious!) and my mom and grandma were very impressed.  Not to mention Dave, he was impressed, too.

Next up was the pasta salad, which was actually much easier than I expected.  You make the arugula pesto while the pasta is cooking, so it is very fast also.  Cook some noodles - I used 8 oz. of cavatappi - and meanwhile throw everything else in the food processor.  Arugula, garlic, salt, pepper.  Pulse a few times until it is nice and smooth, then add the olive oil.  Mix together with onions, green beans (they said steamed, I roasted), carrots, and cherry tomatoes (I left these out).


This made for a very peppery, spicy dish.  I hope all the raw garlic in there will help me ward off the cold that seems to be going around...

No comments: