Sunday, September 21, 2008

The artichoke experiment


I almost didn't make this next appetizer. Italian Appetizer Artichokes from Better Homes & Gardens sounded like a dip, but upon further reading, I realized that you actually boil and eat the artichokes themselves. And eating them certainly sounded disturbing:
"To eat, pull off a leaf and dip the base of the leaf in the dip. Draw through teeth, eating only the tender flesh. Continue till a cone of young leaves appears. Pull away the cone, eating the little bit of soft flesh. Scoop out and discard the fuzzy "choke." Eat the remaining heart with a fork, dipping each piece in the dip."
I mean, that sounds like something out of John Wayne Gacy's diary.

However, this dish just sounded too interesting not to make. I've never cooked whole artichokes before, so again, it is the spirit of the project that I make everything I'm not allergic to or completely disgusted by.

As I've indicated, the idea is to cut the artichokes, boil them, chill them, and tear each leaf off and eat them one by one. However, the "flesh" doesn't come off quite as easily as the instructions sound.


Also, as you get deeper into the artichoke, it begins to look more and more like an alien.


I don't think Dave enjoyed it.


As for me, I don't think I would make this again - the happy little jars of pre-made artichoke hearts will have to be enough for me. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My face says it all.