Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Broiled Grapefruit

Sorry for the lack of posts for the last few weeks. Blame the artichokes. (No, really, I've been super busy.) Nonetheless, I need to finish off the Appetizer chapter so I can start on new parts of the book. (More on that at the end of this post.)


Today I made Broiled Grapefruit as a dessert to our tilapia and rice dinner. The idea is simple and quick to make:
  1. Cut grapefruit in half.
  2. Spread with a little butter.
  3. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
  4. Broil.
  5. Put maraschino cherry in and serve!
I was really pleased with how this came out, and I was thinking that I could make this for our relatives at Christmas. The cinnamon makes it taste very "holidays."

It was also the most "dessert-y" member of the Appetizers chapter, though the sugar and cinnamon really cut the sourness of the grapefruit. Also, I specifically added Caribbean jerk seasoning to the tilapia I served with dinner so that it paired well with the cinnamon-sweet grapefruit.

With this recipe down, I have only seven more recipes in the Appetizers chapter. After that, I intend to continue the rest of the book, but in a more piecemeal way. (For example, a month of cakes might kill us.)

Starting out with appetizers only was a good way to kick off the project, but I need flexibility to finish out this book over the next year. I plan to finish off this chapter in the next two weeks and then get into some nice soups, meats, and cookies for the holiday season.

Mmm.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was really tasty! I'll admit, I'm not typically a grapefruit person... or a cooked fruit person... and it looked a little odd... but man, it was good! It's not easy to overcome all of that! :)