Saturday, November 15, 2008

Zucchini bread

I wanted to branch out into other breads, so last night I made zucchini bread from Better Homes & Gardens. The dough was a lot like banana bread, except you obviously use zucchini instead of bananas, and there were also added spices, including cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.

As you can see, the batter was a little greenish. The recipe called for a full cup of shredded zucchini, peel and all.



It baked up really moist and quite heavy, but the denseness might have been caused by overbaking on my part. (I forgot about it, OK?! Shame!)

You can't really taste the zucchini, but I think the fiber and water of the veggie added to the bread's texture. It has little flecks of green in it, and I think this would be a perfect side to a Thanksgiving dinner.


It was delicious with breakfast this morning; along with slices of zucchini bread, I made scrambled eggs (sauteed garlic for me; mushroom, green pepper, & onion for Dave), and strawberries and bananas.


Mmm. I still have a lot of zucchini, so I think I'll make some more zucchini bread tomorrow for work, maybe some zucchini pancakes for breakfast. It kind of seems strange to center your weekend baking around a green vegetable, but oh well. Such is my life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This was fantastic! It has only the slightest hint of zucchini, really - it's mostly just moist cinnamon goodness.

Who knew zucchini could be almost like a dessert?

Alcuin Bramerton said...

You can make shoes out of zucchini bread. They don't cost anything and they feel comfortable on tired feet. But it is best not to walk on them. Never walk on other people's feet.

Valerie said...

I wonder if they make shoe-shaped pans.

Stacy said...

One of my favorites growing up was my Mom's zucchini cake! It's flavored much like zucchini bread, cooked in a bundt pan, and topped with this pourable sugar frosting stuff. Almost as amazing as M&Ms (there I said it)!