Saturday, November 22, 2008

Grasshopper pie

My friend hosted a pie party yesterday, so I made grasshopper pie to bring. (Recipe from BH&G.)


First you melt marshmallows with milk. Eventually it becomes nice and smooth, like marshmallow fluff. You make whipped cream in another bowl, and after the marshmallow fluff is cooled, you mix in the booze.

That's right, booze. This pie takes 1/4 cup of creme de menthe and 2 tablespoons of creme de cacao. Not only does that give the pie a delicious chocolate-mint flavor, but also its characteristic soft green color. (You have to be sure to allow the marshmallow fluff to cool thoroughly, or the booze will just sink to the bottom. Trust me, I've learned that mistake the hard way when I first made this recipe a few years ago!)

After you've made the whipped cream and the minty marshmallow fluff, you fold them together softly until all the minty booze goodness is mixed through evenly.


Then pour into a chocolate graham cracker pie crust (also a homemade recipe from Better Homes & Gardens). You dust the top with chocolate shavings and you're done!


It was a hit at the party; my friend had made a lot of fruit pies and some pecan pies. I like how fluffy this recipe turns out; it's very light.


Another success - I look forward to making more pies from my Better Homes & Gardens recipe binder.

No comments: