Thursday, April 2, 2009

Spaghetti carbonara


Last night a friend came over and I made spaghetti carbonara, a famous Italian recipe for pasta with bacon and eggs.

I was first introduce to this recipe when I met Dave's family, when his dad made his version of the recipe. Dave's dad uses ham, but I use the recipe from my old-timey Better Homes & Gardens binder. My recipe uses bacon and is creamier than most other carbonara recipes I've tried.

The steps are simple: cook a half pound of bacon and a full pound of pasta. When the pasta is done, toss it with some butter in a heated oven dish. Blend cream, raw eggs, and parsley and pour over the pasta. The heat from the pasta will actually cook the eggs and create a creamy egg sauce.

This is one of Dave's favorite recipes, but because it's so heavy, I haven't made it for a while. This time I also made it with whole wheat spaghetti, which was a nice, healthy change. (About the only healthy thing about this dish!) But I mean, come on. Bacon pasta? You can't go wrong.

No comments: