Thursday, June 25, 2009

Apple pork loin

For some reason, I got the itch to bust out my Crock Pot recently. I have a cookbook specifically geared toward Crock Pots - in fact, it's shaped like a Crock Pot - and I wanted to finally try a recipe. I picked a recipe, Simply Delicious Pork, which involves very few ingredients and a vast amount of potential deliciousness.

The recipe contains only four components: pork loin cut into pieces, sliced apples, and a mix of cinnamon and brown sugar. You layer the ingredients in the pot like so:


The recipe says to cook on low for eight hours, but honestly, that was far too long. It was probably done at about four or five hours, so when I checked on it at six hours, I think it was a little overdone. Still, it was really tasty.


The pork was really tender and fell apart really easily, and the apples gave a really warm flavor to the meat. I served it with soy beans and a banana, above. You can see that the pork is not the most photogenic, but it was delicious, trust me.

My mom says that Crock Pot meals are good for the summer, because they don't heat up the kitchen like an oven does. I can appreciate this, and I'm sure Dave can, as well, so I bet I'll be making more of these as the summer goes on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmm... pork.

The tenderness of the meat and the flavor of the apples combine perfectly with the crock pot - this was a fantastic dish.