Monday, September 28, 2009

Italian wedding soup

It's fall and you know what that means - time for delicious soup and other warm comfort foods! First on the list: Italian wedding soup from Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics.

I have been meaning to try this for some time, and I was not disappointed. So flavorful, and not even that sinful.

First, you make your meatballs. This is a delightful mix of ground chicken, ground turkey sausage, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Pecorino Romano cheese, an egg, and some herbs and spices. You mix it up well, then scoop out meatball shapes and bake for 30 minutes. While it's baking, you make your soup! (You also drool, because the meatballs smell amazing!)

For the soup, you first sautee your aromatics: carrots, celery, and onions.


Then add your chicken stock and wine, and after it comes to a boil, you add your small pasta and simmer until the pasta is tender. You can use any kind of small pasta - I used orzo.

Then throw in your meatballs and 12 ounces of spinach, which wilts immediately:


Holy crap. Awesome. I'm sorry Ina, I didn't have any dill this time - I will use it next time, I promise! But I did use real fresh-grated Pecorino Romano, so I guess I win some points there.


Obviously the soup made a ton, so we pretty much have lunch for the next three days. But who's complaining? Not me! I could probably have this for every meal for a month and not complain. Definitely will make again.

No comments: