Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stuffed shells

In the spirit of the healthy granola I made earlier, I tapped Cook Yourself Thin again for some stuffed pasta shells.

These were pretty time-consuming, as the ricotta is supplemented by delicious veggies. This cuts calories and adds flavor, as well as vitamins. Instead of what would probably be at least two pounds of ricotta cheese, I used one pound, two zucchinis, and one pound of spinach. Then you add even more flavor with a half cup of mozzarella, some scallions, parsley, and pepper!

The sauce is typical - crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, and basil. A little on the base of the pan, then more on top of the shells. Then another small amount of mozzarella and parmesan on top of the shells and into the oven they go!


Because they aren't that wet, I had to cover them with aluminum foil so they wouldn't burn. This is the small pan, and then we have another whole pan of them.


Dave really enjoyed this one. (I can tell by the number and volume of groans coming from his end of the couch.) The serving size is only four shells, but I feel full. Anything that can get me to eat a reasonable portion size of pasta is good by me.

It was a tasty meal, made a lot of food, and is actually healthy! Win another for this cookbook.

No comments: