Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cranberry orange bread

Yesterday, I was going to a crochet night with a friend, and she'd told me that she'd love to try a nice sweet bread from me from the bread challenge. I thought about what I had in my pantry and leafed through BH&G, finally settling on cranberry orange bread.

The dough is kind of strange. You mix typical dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt), and in a separate bowl, you mix wet ingredients (orange juice, egg, and orange zest). Then you stir them all together with a spoon and fold in some chopped, fresh cranberries. The whole thing is cooked in a loaf pan.


Technically, I was supposed to add walnuts, but I'm not a fan of cooking nuts into things.


The bread looked pretty good when I was done, and I took it over to my friend's house to glaze it and drizzle some additional orange peel on top:


Awesome. This cake would actually work really well as a coffee cake. We cut some pieces and enjoyed them after crochet, and I thought it tasted really sweet and fresh - and not at all as sour or tart as I'd feared it would be. Another success!

No comments: