Sunday, December 13, 2009

Potsticker party

I started getting a craving for Asian potstickers as the result of some back-to-back delicious potsticker shows on the Food Network on Friday. Thus, I did the only thing I could think of: hold a party and make tons of potstickers. On the menu: chicken-crab wontons, crab rangoon, and ginger pork potstickers. I've made two of them before, and the potstickers are a new one from Guy Fieri's repertoire.

I also made an array of sauces and a tasty bar cookie for dessert. The party was a success, with tons of people coming to try out my potstickers. Special thanks to Julie for helping me make all the delicious wontons!


This is my first Guy Fieri recipe, and it was pretty good. The recipe itself was for a quite reasonable amount of potstickers - something like 12. So of course I nearly tripled the recipe for my party. (It had to be done.)

The filling contained many delicious and fresh ingredients:
  • Ground pork
  • Grated ginger
  • Grated garlic
  • Onions
  • Green onion
  • Soy sauce
  • Sesame seed oil
  • Salt & pepper


I mashed it up and then filled some pre-made wonton wrappers with it. I think if I had followed Guy Fieri's advice about cook time, I would have been OK, but I left the first batch in the steam bath for too long. They stuck to the pot and I had to re-wrap the cooked pork. Anyway, they turned out cute and tasty:


They were good, but not as flavorful as I'd hoped. Everyone's favorite was the crab rangoon, which is a good one.


For the sauces, I made two I've made before from the BH&G cookbook: hot Chinese mustard and sweet & sour sauce. I also made a new one: soy ginger sauce from RecipeZaar.com. This one has soy, sesame seed oil, ginger, garlic, and chopped green onion.


I liked it, because I'm a big fan of soy sauce, and the sesame seed oil is really good for you. It seemed like everyone's favorite was the sweet & sour sauce, which is pretty good.


For dessert, I had initially wanted a really light serving with fruit or something, but this recipe - part of the 12 days of cookies on the Food Network e-mail list - looked too good to pass up. Also, the citrus and complex butterscotch flavors seemed like a good complement to the fried Asian wontons.

The cookies have three layers: creamy lemon layer between two crumbly oatmeal-butterscotch layers.

The creamy layer had cream cheese, condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. I've never cooked with condensed milk before, and it was weird, but it was fine. The crumbly layer was oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and butterscotch chips.


I wasn't sure how I felt about the combination of butterscotch and lemon, but I really liked it. The recipe is really easy to make, as most of the ingredients are store-bought, but the lemon juice and zest really gave a fresh taste to it.


They served as a lovely dessert for my potsticker party, and I would definitely make them again. I don't know if I ever need another recipe for butterscotch chips - they are so delicious here!

No comments: