Saturday, January 30, 2010

Persimmon couscous with tofu

I like to make whole wheat couscous and pair it with chopped sausage or tofu. Today I made some couscous with chopped tofu and a delicious mix of vegetables and spices.

I was shopping at the produce market today and I don't know why, but I bought two persimmons. I guess they called to me.

I diced the persimmon and sauteed it a bit in some olive oil. After a few minutes, I added diced red onion and chopped mushrooms. I also tossed in a little bit of cumin.


Meanwhile, I boiled water and prepared the couscous, toasted some sesame seeds, and toasted the cubed tofu. After the mix was done, I tossed it with the couscous and sesame seeds. I also grated some fresh ginger into the mix, to complement the sweet flavor of the persimmons.


I like to toast the tofu on two sides and then lay it on top of the couscous. Pour a little olive oil and crack some black pepper, and you're golden.


Always delicious. I served this French-style with some kir (a.k.a. white wine and creme de cassis), and for dessert, we had some Jonagold apples with Havarti cheese. I need to do that more often, because it was a delicious dessert. All in all a pretty healthy meal!

No comments: