Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cinnamon: a study in bread and butter

I had a lot of milk to use up before it went bad, so I decided to make a milk-heavy bread recipe. Egg bread is one, but I've already made it for the bread challenge, so I decided to make one of BH&G's iterations of egg bread: cinnamon swirl bread.

You make the egg bread and let it rise - it's just a yeast bread with a lot of egg and milk. Then instead of shaping it into loaves and letting it rise, you roll it out and spread it with water, cinnamon, and sugar. Then you roll it up and toss it into some loaf pans.


See? It just looks like ordinary bread, and you have no idea what delicious things lurk inside. You let it rise again, then bake.

The delicious cinnamon filling oozed out a bit, but the bread was 99% intact.


I could feel that the bread was really soft and nice. I took a loaf to work and gave a loaf to Dave for his office. I was pretty excited when I cut into it:


Looked just like the picture in the book. Oh, what's that tub to the right? Glad you asked.

I made Ina's cinnamon honey butter to go along with the bread. Just room temperature butter, honey, cinnamon, and salt. Whip well:

[Gurgle...]

I cut out a hunk of bread about as wide as the toaster would accept, then toasted it and spread with cinnamon honey butter. It was the most amazing bread experience in my life! The cinnamon swirl incarnation of the egg bread was so much better than the egg bread by itself. Both of the loaves were gone by 9 a.m., and all coworkers were very satisfied.

1 comment:

Lisa C said...

Oh my goodness Val! That bread and honey butter looks fabulous!! Well done!