Sunday, April 4, 2010

An Easter/Passover themed meal

Well, I'm not Christian or Jewish, but I still find Easter and Passover interesting. Last night, we watched The Ten Commandments, and I made a meal for my family that incorporated aspects of both holidays.

The main course was a bunny-shaped pasta that's pretty funny. This dish isn't kosher for Passover, because the pasta is leaven, but it's shaped like bunnies for Easter! I used a regular red sauce with some red wine stirred in.


I hope you can see the bunnies! This is about as close as I will ever get to eating a bunny, I suppose.

The other two dishes were more in the Passover theme: mustard roasted potatoes, which I have made before, and charoset, an apple dippy sort of dish that is very common on Passover tables. I used this dish, which seemed simple: blend five things together, (1) shredded apples, (2) chopped walnuts, (3) red wine, (4) sugar, and (5) cinnamon.


This was a happy, sweet little recipe that is actually pretty good for you. My mom and I ate it straight and also dipped with strawberries. I think if you use a food processor rather than a shredder, it gets a smoother consistency, but we don't have a food processor, and it was still pretty good. It's supposed to symbolize the mortar that the Jewish slaves used in Egypt, so it was also fitting to eat during The Ten Commandments!

It was a fun meal, and it makes me want to cook more traditional holiday meals, even for holidays I don't celebrate. It makes me feel more in tune with other cultures around the world, celebrating whatever they are celebrating. Maybe next year I'll do a full Seder. I'd also like to look up and use traditional recipes for New Year's, Ramadan, Chinese New Year, Diwali, and others. I'm sure Dave won't mind trying new things!

No comments: