Friday, June 4, 2010

Burger & hot dog buns

I bought some grass-fed ground beef, so I knew it was time to make some hamburgers. And since I'm trying to make all my own bread, I decided to make the hamburger buns myself.

The hamburger and hot dog bun recipe is an alteration of the dinner roll recipe. This was a very simple egg bread-type dough, but you shape it into rolls instead of loaves. The recipe makes six hot dog buns, of which mine are somewhat misshapen:


I've got some Field Roast spicy sausages that are calling for these. And I made six rather lovely hamburger buns, too:


You could make all one or the other shape, but I opted to split the difference. And after we have the four hamburgers with buns, I'll probably just use the rest for sandwiches. The dough is really soft.

Anyway, I was proud of myself, and maybe next time I'll use half whole wheat flour, too.

No comments: