Monday, June 21, 2010

Pound cake

When I told my mom I was coming down for Father's Day, she mentioned that we could have some raspberries from their bushes for dessert. I was thinking of fancy ways to serve them up, like maybe some tarts, but I couldn't think of anything I'd want to leave in the car during my morning softball game - until I thought of pound cake.

Ina likes to serve raspberries over a slice of poundcake drizzled with honey. I thought this sounded pretty good, so I checked my ingredients list, and sure enough, I had everything I needed. Butter, flour, eggs, baking powder, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, and sugar. And I finally got to try my fancy Dutch-style Amish butter from the Daley Center farmers' market!

The batter was delicious (I always lick the spoon), and the cake came out looking like a pretty typical pound cake:


Turns out, my mom didn't have any honey, so we just served it with some raspberry preserves.


Still looks pretty awesome! And this morning Dave and I had slices of the cake spread with almond butter, which was actually even better than the raspberries. The moistness of the almond butter matched perfectly with the cake. So I guess I know what we'll have for breakfast for the rest of the week!

No comments: