Friday, June 18, 2010

Rhubarb bars

I got a bunch of rhubarb in my CSA box last week, so I figured it was time to use them.



Rhubarb is a funny plant; it sort of looks like celery, but tastes zingy and sweet. My CSA newsletter included a recipe for rhubarb bars, which is a thin pastry crust with a rhubarb filling on top. Basically you bake the crust, then beat an egg-sugar mixture together (very similar to lemon bar filling), then stir in chopped rhubarb.

It came out looking like this, a little quiche-like:


As you can see, some of the rhubarb stalks are green, and others are the more characteristic pink. Weird.

Of course, being rhubarb, we couldn't have dinner without strawberries somewhere. I tossed a salad together with baby greens, arugula (from the Daley Center farmers' market), organic strawberries, walnuts, and bleu cheese (from the farmers' market also).


These salads were awesome. The whole meal was sweet and fresh, and I am totally loving my CSA and farmers' markets right now.

No comments: