Sunday, July 11, 2010

Camping food

We went camping this weekend, and I prepared a few choice meals in the north woods...

First was dinner on Friday night: Italian chicken sausages on the grill, with wheat hot dog buns; Bush's Grillin' Beans, and a nice salad with CSA lettuce, CSA cucumbers, and chili cheese curds from the Mars Cheese Castle.


I cooked the sausages over the fire, but I cooked the beans on a propane stove my friend Diane lent me. I also made s'mores on Friday night, though the pictures really didn't come out.

Then, Saturday morning, I made pancakes, served with elk sausage sticks and apples & almond butter.


Mmm. Again, the pancakes were made on the stove. I kept the dry and wet ingredients separate on the drive up, then mixed it together right before pouring the batter on the griddle.

I had planned on doing the same things for dinner and breakfast on Saturday night and Sunday morning, but it rained like crazy and we had to go home. Still, it was a great camping trip, and I really enjoyed building the fire, especially. I wish I had a fireplace so I could have s'mores every night!!

No comments: