Thursday, October 21, 2010

Turnip green tart

I picked up my last CSA box of the summer, and I was very sad to see the season end. And because the season is ending, that means I have tons of root vegetables to use up. Root vegetables...and their greens.

In my CSA, the carrots, beets, and turnips have come to me with their stems attached. One of the newsletters recently suggested a turnip green tart, which was an interesting idea.

First, you make a crumbly crust with flour, "spelt flour" (I used whole wheat), corn meal, egg, and water. You chill that, which I did overnight, and then bake it in a tart shell pan. The recipe does not specify what size of pan, so I just used my big one. As you shall see, I really would have appreciated a pan size suggestion.

At any rate, I blind-baked the pastry crust at the recipe's suggestion, which is to say I baked it without any filling, but instead with aluminum foil and rice to help keep its shape. Meanwhile, you chop some turnip greens, grate some garlic, and mix in eggs, cream, and veggie broth. Pour it in a tart shell (or in theory, more than one) and bake. Partway through, you grate some Gruyere cheese on top and sprinkle with pepper flakes.


This actually turned out a lot better than I thought, except for several little things. Number one, the dough was too dry, so I probably should have added more water. Number two, there was far too much dough to filling ratio, so I really only made one tart - my six little mini tart shells are still empty, so I have to figure out something to do with them. But this one was good.

No comments: