Monday, October 25, 2010

Applesauce

When I went on my weekly run for bunny lettuce tonight, I decided to pick up some discount apples. I thought I'd make either applesauce or some apple butter, and since I don't have any apple cider vinegar right now, I figured it would have to be applesauce.

Applesauce is very, very simple and quick, especially compared to apple butter. I used my Better Homes & Gardens recipe, which called for eight pounds of apples, 2 cups of water, and some cinnamon sticks. I halved that, or it would never have fit in my large stock pot. You boil these things together for 10 minutes, then run through a food mill. I used the tool with the medium-sized holes, whereas I use the finest one for apple butter.


The recipe said to core them, but I didn't do that because the cores actually give you a lot of pectin. However, I wish I had at least gotten the seeds out, because in using the larger hole sieve setting, some of the seeds got through. Nonetheless, I weeded through it to make sure that there were no seeds. You can boil this again with sugar, if you're canning it, but I plan to use it very soon on applesauce brownies and applesauce cupcakes.


Yep, looks like applesauce. Another job well done for my food mill.

No comments: