Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Potato & turnip gratin

So, as I've stated in posts recently, I am inundated with squash and root vegetables. I am sitting on two acorn squash, one butternut squash, five pounds of potatoes (red, new, and purple), two pounds of russet potatoes, turnips, and beets. I guess you could say that winter has begun.

Despite my somewhat disappointing experience with the turnip green tart recipe from my CSA newsletter, I decided to go for a potato gratin tart that would use up plenty of those roots. Here's how it went.

First, you preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Check. Then you start simmering the following in a medium to large sauce pan:
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 shallots, sliced
  • Thyme
  • Salt
While that's simmering, you slice 1 lb. russet potatoes, 1 lb. turnips. Pretty easy, especially when you have a brand new kitchen scale like I do.

Throw the veggies into a 9 x 13 pan:


Then pour the beautiful cream mixture over top:


So, you can see that the prep was really easy. Oven for 45 minutes, then enjoy!


Everything gets really soft and creamy. I wish I had added a little more garlic, and in the form of whole cloves, because I think they would have gotten really squishy and delicious. But the recipe was very, very good as is. Definitely a keeper, and good for Thanksgiving and other fall / winter comfort. Thanks CSA, looking forward to more root veggies in my winter CSA!

No comments: