Saturday, February 19, 2011

Blood orange liqueur

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune last year about making your own fruit-based liqueur, specifically blood orange liqueur. Loving blood oranges as I do, I knew I had to make this. It just took me a while to get the blood oranges.

I found some on LocalHarvest.org, and Dave let me order a 10 lb. box. That's a lot of oranges.


So, to make the liqueur, you use the pulp, juice, and zest of four blood oranges. You also use lemon zest and some ginger, which was an interesting twist.

You put all that in a container, then pour in the vodka and simple syrup. The liquid immediately began to turn orange-pink, exactly as you'd expect blood orange liqueur to look.

Except this has to sit for two more weeks. Oh, the waiting game that booze-soaked fruit puts me through.

I don't have any plans for this per se, except that I think it would be a neat cocktail with some pomegranate or pineapple juice. I might bottle some up and give it to someone, maybe as an incentive to donate to my Avon Walk. Any takers?

Oh, and one more thing, I GOT AN ICE CREAM MAKER. Cinnamon ice cream tonight, blog post tomorrow. This is going to change my life.

No comments: