Monday, February 21, 2011

Cinnamon ice cream

Yes, I got an ice cream maker - a beautiful Cuisinart 2-quart ice cream maker that's going to make all of my frozen treat dreams come true. And the way that's going to happen is through the recipes in The Ultimate Ice Cream Book (as well as some assorted recipes from the Internet).

Of course, first on my list has to be cinnamon ice cream, which is tied with dark chocolate and Baskin Robbins' daiquiri ice as my favorite ice cream flavors of all time. The ice cream book often contains two possible recipes for a given ice cream, including a custard-style ice cream (with eggs) and an egg-free, "Philadelphia-style" ice cream. Custard is thicker and creamier, so I figured, hey, why not.

The ice cream is made in a few steps, and I tried to rinse bowls so that I used up as few dishes as possible.
  1. Simmer milk with bay leaf and cinnamon. (I doubled the amount of cinnamon the recipe suggests.)
  2. Beat egg yolks with sugar and corn starch; add hot milk mixture and return to pot to simmer again - but not boil, we don't want scrambled eggs here.
  3. Cool slightly and add cream; stir until smooth and chill in fridge.
  4. Remove from fridge, stir, and add to ice cream maker.
The ice cream was pretty soupy when it had been in the ice cream maker for the recommended 30 minutes, but I poured it into quart containers and put them in the freezer. After a few hours, the ice cream was more solid.


It was very, very good. I finished this yesterday, but I had some today for breakfast as well. AND, I already put the ice cream maker bowl back into the freezer so I'll be ready to make blood orange sorbet as soon as I have a tupperware container available. Oh, ice cream maker, how did I wait for you for so long?

No comments: