Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blood orange sorbet

Well, it finally happened. I made blood orange sorbet!

I've been daydreaming about this stuff for ages, ever since I had a ping-pong-sized scoop from Berthillon in Paris. When I ordered a 10 lb. box of blood oranges, I knew they'd be perfect for this.

I used 9-10 of them in this recipe, basically cutting away all the rind, slicing the wedges out, and squeezing the juice out of the leftover center. It took a while, but I think the end result was worth it. Mix it with some homemade simple syrup and the juice of one lime, then put in the ice cream maker!


This churned up really well and really quickly. The cinnamon ice cream over the weekend didn't freeze as quickly, so I'm thinking maybe sorbets are easier to make for immediate consumption.


The end result was a very tangy, bright orange sorbet, pink-flavored from all the orange pulp. Just like I remember from Berthillon!

Next up on the list is either apple butter ice cream (homemade apple butter, of course) or Girl Scout Thin Mint ice cream. Also, the slow cooker will probably make another appearance over the weekend with some wonderful chickpea dishes.

No comments: