Sunday, February 27, 2011

Black chickpea curry

I figured it was time for another Indian slow cooker recipe - this time black chickpeas!

In the cookbook, the author speaks of these strange, mystical things called "black chickpeas." They're like regular chickpeas, but darker and a little tougher. I managed to stumble across them at my local European produce market, so I figured I'd give them a whirl.

No soaking required, simply put the chickpeas in water in the slow cooker, then add a mix of onions, garlic, and ginger (author also calls for chilies and tomatoes, but I had none on hand). I really need a small food processor to mince these ingredients quickly!

Finally, add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt, and you have your curry. Nine hours later.


Add a splash of lemon and cilantro before serving for a tart kick. The dish kind of looks like chickpea mush, but it was really good. And since Dave is out of town all week, it looks like I'll be having this for lunch a lot.

I served the black chickpea curry with aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower curry), a brown rice pilaf, and a slice of fried tempeh. No, I have not gone vegetarian, and Dave did miss my usual chicken tikka masala, but I just felt like I needed to lay off the heavy foods after Friday's soul food binge at work.

No comments: