Saturday, February 5, 2011

Roasted carrots

We ate heaps of Indian food today for lunch, so I wanted to make a small dinner. I was flipping through Ina books this afternoon and found this old classic, roasted carrots, in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.

Basically you chop up some carrots (Ina uses 12) in large chunks - if you have thin carrots, chop them in 1.5-inch slices on an angle. If you have epically large CSA carrots like I have, you cut them in half, then slice them on an angle into bite-size pieces. I don't really think it matters. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

I thought the carrots were a little underdone, but I like my carrots raw anyway. If you like them a little more done, might want to fork test them for doneness before you take them out of the oven.


I served mine with some kalamata olives and Amish onion jack cheese on Triscuits. I crumbled a little onion cheese and raw red onions on top of the carrots, also. Very tasty.

No comments: