Thursday, March 3, 2011

Black-eyed pea salad

Found this lovely article on soul food in the Trib last month and had to try the recipe for the black-eyed pea salad!

Soak black-eyed peas overnight, although I soaked overnight and all day also. Then you boil in water with three bay leaves for 30 minutes. I could kick myself, but I forgot the bay leaves. D'oh!!

While the beans are boiling, chop 1 white onion, three jalapenos, and one or two roasted red peppers. (Luckily I had a jar from the artichokes the other day!) Also chop up some cilantro and parsley (or, if you're me, cilantro and sage). Toss that in a bowl and then make the dressing by whisking red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil. Toss it all together with some salt and pepper and there you go!


This might be as good as my perennial favorite, Mediterranean barley salad (barley mixed with avocados and kalamata olives). This is so spectacularly onion-y and delicious. I'm going for another bowl.

No comments: